Our Creative Play team is looking for an Audio Software Engineer with a broad view of interactive audio, strong systems programming skills, and an interest in player creativity. We are building a social environment for creation - centered on flexible and fun ways for users to express themselves.
The project - including the audio systems - is built from scratch in Rust - which has some unique challenges. But there are also many interesting opportunities for fun and playful ways users can create sounds and music - and what sort of systems we need to enable that.
As an audio engineer in the Creative Play team, you will be responsible for helping to build out the foundation of our audio tech stack - and then build on top of that towards creative user features.
The team is extremely cross-functional, so you will collaborate with designers, coders, and artists - all with a focus on enabling user creativity. This will involve brainstorms, prototyping - and of course some dead ends along the way - so ideally you find the fun of exploring the future. Several of our programmers have an audio programming background, so you will have a fertile ground for interesting discussions for sure!
Example of responsibilities
- Create and implement tools and audio systems
- Drive connections of the audio tech to the platform
- Help figuring out what tech and tools we need to execute on our vision and then make it happen
- Participate in research in our audio stack.
We would love if you have
- Knowledge about sound, and ideally music
- Audio DSP code knowledge
- Created existing audio music apps and/or plugins
- Knowledge about working with existing audio middleware such as FMOD, Wwise or audio in engines such as Unreal Engine, Unit
- Software engineering background with experience with - or excited to work with - Rust
- Previous experience from working with interactive games and/or building your own audio engine is meritorious
- Professional English communication skills
At Embark we offer competitive salaries, passionate colleagues to share knowledge with and much more, but most of all we invite you to take part of a journey into the unknown, to build creative, surprising and beautiful experiences together.
We welcome game makers of all sex, class, colour, age, gender identity, education, religion, opinion, culture, nation of origin, language, sexual orientation, shape, size, and ability.
Did we leave anyone out? Well, we welcome you, too! We think that the gaming industry is made better when everyone has a seat at the table.
Be yourself at Embark and make games while doing so. Please apply with confidence. We can’t wait to hear from you (in English)!
If this role doesn't quite match what you're looking for, feel free to apply to us via our "Open Application."