As a Backend Engineer at Embark you will be a gamemaker in a team focused on building powerful and reusable backend components for our teams.
Some examples of things we’re working on are quests, ranking, in-game economy, friends, chat, etc. Some of the technologies we use to make all of those are Go, C++, Rust, GCP, AWS, Bazel, Terraform, Kubernetes, Google Spanner.
You’ll be an integral part of a highly creative game team and together you’ll create and improve the high-quality, polished experiences we want to provide our players. Your role is to provide experience and solutions in the backend and infrastructure space. As our game is distributed between game client, game server and the cloud, you’ll work together with your team to figure out which parts of the problem to solve in which location. At Embark we believe in creating smaller teams of well-aligned experts that can be trusted to create games and keep them running.
You do not need to have any experience from games or games studios to apply.
Example of responsibilities
- Collaborate and work closely with fellow software engineers and technical directors
- Build and improve services, features and tools for game development
- Continuously improve our engineering practices
- Make sure your code adds a great amount of value to your colleagues
We would love if you have
- A creative and curious mind
- A passion for interactive experiences, games and new technologies
- A solid understanding about distributed systems and experience building them
- A solid understanding about Site Reliability Engineering practices and what it takes to keep services running smoothly around the clock
- The ability to be a great team player with good communication skills
- A good grasp of performance, optimization and observability
- Experience with some of the technologies we use (all is absolutely not required)
- Professional English communication skills
At Embark we offer competitive salaries, passionate colleagues to share knowledge with and much more, but most of all we invite you to take part of a journey into the unknown, to build creative, surprising and beautiful experiences together.
We welcome game makers of all sex, class, colour, age, gender identity, education, religion, opinion, culture, nation of origin, language, sexual orientation, shape, size, and ability.
Did we leave anyone out? Well, we welcome you, too! We think that the gaming industry is made better when everyone has a seat at the table.
Be yourself at Embark and make games while doing so. Please apply with confidence. We can’t wait to hear from you (in English)!
If this role doesn't quite match what you're looking for, feel free to apply to us via our "Open Application."